This Sparkling Ice Skates Wall Decor project is my new favorite holiday decoration! When I spotted these wooden ice skates in Target’s Bullseye’s Playground, I knew instantly that I wanted to upgrade them with glitter and put them in my Winter Wonderland room. They were great as is with that sort of rustic look, but they wouldn’t exactly go with my other decor. Besides, I just like the look of super white ice skates anyway. I also wanted to level up the hanger bit, so I changed it to some sparkly white yarn and added a couple of pom poms. Alright, let’s see how I did it.
Be sure to Save it on Pinterest if you want to make it later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive compensation if you click on product or brand links and purchase anything. For more information, see our Disclosure Policy.
Sparkling Ice Skates Wall Decor
- Wooden Ice Skates
- Glossy White Spray Paint
- OR White Acrylic Paint
- Silver Paint (Only if Using Form Like One from Amazon)
- Masking Tape
- Mod Podge Gloss
- White Fine Glitter
- Foam Brush
- White Yarn
- Pom Pom Maker
Sparkling Ice Skates Wall Decor Steps
1. If you were able to grab these from Target, remove any of the ribbon or strings that may be attached. Then be sure to sand off the current finish first. You’ll thank me later. If you use wooden skate cutouts, you’ll only need to sand off any rough edges.
2. Cover the blade part of the skates with the masking tape.
3. Spray paint the ice skates with a couple of coats of the white, allowing each coat to dry completely. Now, if you don’t sand like me, what will happen is the stain or coloring will seep right up through the white paint and give it a pink tinge. Yes, I freaked a little bit since I was on a tight deadline and didn’t want to mess with stripping the paint and starting from scratch. So I brought them back inside and painted three coats with white acrylic paint and managed to get rid of most of the pink. If you get the wooden forms, you won’t have to worry about any of this, but you will need to paint the blades silver.
4. Apply Mod Podge to a section of a skate and then sprinkle some of the fine glitter over it. For this project, we’re no trying to encrust it with glitter, but we want it sparkly, so I’d say apply a medium amount and definitely use the little salt shaker lid. If you have any of the Clear Glitter Blast Sealer, this help keep the glitter on the skates.
5. Cut 9-20-inch pieces of yarn and braid them into a cord.
6. Poke each end into the predrilled holes and knot on the back or attach them to the back. Tie a loop at the top as shown.
7. Make two 2-inch pom poms with the white yarn, leaving the two long tails for tying.
8. Tie the two pom poms onto the loop of the hanger as shown and then trim off any extra yarn.
That’s it! I could have had this Sparkling Ice Skates Wall Decor done in less than an hour if I had just sanded the skates at the beginning. I think it will make a nice addition to all of my other snowy decorations like our Sparkly Snowflake Decor and our White Flower Petal Covered Cone Tree, though. To me, ice skates are synonymous with winter and snow. Now I can’t actually ice skate per say, lol, but it sure is fun to watch!
If you’re looking for even more winter wonderland decoration inspiration, All Free Holiday Crafts is such a great resource. They always have so many fun projects!
Now let’s see all other the other sparkling projects from the hop!
A Very Sparkly Craft Blog Hop
On the first Monday of each month, a group of DIY and crafty bloggers join forces to bring you the #BlingontheCrafts blog hop. Each blogger creates a glittery, sparkly, shiny, shimmery, sequined, or “blingy” craft to share that goes with a monthly theme.
December’s theme is Holidays. Each blogger chooses their own craft to make as long as it shines and is holiday themed.
If you’d like to participate next month, you can request to join our Bling on the Crafts Facebook group.
Are you ready to see all of the sparkly crafts our bloggers have made for this month’s #BlingontheCrafts hop!?[inlinkz_linkup id=752316 mode=1]
Say Yes to FREE!
Subscribe to My FREE Newsletter and Get Exclusive Access to FREE Printables & Downloads Like Craft Project Planners, Printable Art Files, SVGs & More, Made Just for You!