Easy Enchilada Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Make this delicious Easy Enchilada Casserole with just a few ingredients in no time at all! Plus, it's easily adaptable for Vegetarian and Vegan diets.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 pkt. Taco Seasoning
- 2 - 10 oz. cans Enchilada Sauce
- 1 - 4 oz. can Chopped Green Chilies
- 16 White Corn Tortillas
- 3.5 c Mexican Cheese Blend, Shredded
- (Optional ) Chopped Fresh Parsley for Garnish
- (Optional) Sour Cream for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Brown ground beef over high heat and add taco seasoning packet. Do not add water.
- Remove from heat and add chopped green chilies and one can of enchilada sauce and mix together.
- Add half a can of enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9 x 9-inch baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Place one whole corn tortilla flat in the center of the dish.
- Cut 3 corn tortillas in half and place them with their flat edges against the side of the dish to cover the entire bottom.
- Add 1/2 the meat mixture on top of the tortillas and spread evenly.
- Cover the meat mixture evenly with 1.5 cups of the shredded Mexican Blend Cheese.
- Add another layer of 4 corn tortillas in the same way as the first layer.
- Add the second half of the meat mixture and spread evenly.
- Add another 1.5 cups of the shredded Mexican Blend Cheese and spread evenly.
- Add a final layer of 4 corn tortillas the same way.
- Pour the second half of the can of enchilada sauce evenly over the tortillas.
- Top that with 1/2 cup shredded Mexican Blend Cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Let the Enchilada Casserole cool and set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with sour cream and fresh parsley as desired.
You can substitute the ground beef for healthier ground chicken or turkey or for shredded chicken.
You can make this vegetarian by used plant-based meat.
You can make this vegan by going one step further and substituting with a vegan cheese alternative.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free, BUT, as always you need to check the labels on all of your brands. Old El Paso enchilada sauce doesn't use a wheat thickener, but it's made in a factory where wheat products are produced. Same with the naturally gluten-free corn tortillas.